My Guide Website?
Hotel Monumento Convento San Benito
Hotel Monumento Convento San Benito opened as a hotel in 1990 after being restored maintaining the noble character of its rooms, in where a peaceful and tranquility atmosphere can be felt, without resigning the comfort and provisions of a modern establishment.It´s remarquable its geographical situation in the coastal area of Rías Baixas and right in the puerto pesquero (fishing port) heart of A Guarda, famous because of the pre-Romanesque settlement of Santa Tecla mountain and its views to the river Miño Estuary and Portugal too.
With beautiful views to the sea and near to the best beaches of the Low Miño, 15 minutes away from the sandy areas of the north of Portugal and 20 minutes from Baiona, make this hotel a privileged place to rest.
This Monastery, which origins are linked to those of the Antealtares (the same benedictine order) in Santiago, it´s linked to the family of the Ozores de Sotomayor brothers, sons of Vasco Ozores Lord of pazo and lands of Teanes and Ana Paez de Sotomayor.
In 1558, Alvaro, Garcia, Maria and Isabel Ozores de Sotomayor brothers and sisters, decided to set up in A Guarda, a nuns monastery, submited to the Regla of San Benito, the West Patron Saint. Where the members of the Family with vocation could live in community and Ladies and young people would devote their lives to a retreat, under the discipline and observance of the religious life.
Once the Bishop of the diocese of Tui Don Diego de Torquemada knew about the project and the will of the founder members, the constuction of the Monastery and the Church began, and they finished in 1561.
After this, they thought about the inauguration of the Monastery and for that they negociate the approval of the Constitution and the Foundation Statutes, that would control the internal life of this new Community, dedicated to La Transfiguración del Señor under the observance of the Regla de San Benito.
After the approval by the Tui Bishop, the papal nuncio in Portugal, Próspero Publicola de Santa Cruz, confirm the validity in a documentation issued in Pontevedra on September 7th, 1561.
The number of nuns that should join the Community would be 20. But this number changed in 34 religious women, this happened because the Founder Members and the Lords changed these rules.
The first Ladies that take the veil in this convent are: Doña Constanza, Doña Florencia and Doña Blanca Correa de Sotomayor, Doña María Ozores daughters and nieces of Don Alavaro (both Monastery founded members); five more constituted this Religious family: Doña Beatriz Pereira de Castro (after Abbess), Doña Ana de Magallanes, Doña Leonor Bello, Doña Ana Teixeira and Doña María del Espíritu Santo.
Plaza de San Benito,s/n, A-Guarda, 36780View Larger Map